Shiu-Feng Kathy Huang, M.D., Ph.D.
Investigator and attending physician
Institute of Molecular and Genomic Medicine
EDUCATIONM.D. (1975-1983): College of Medicine, National Taiwan University
Ph.D. (1989-1997): Institute of Pathology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University
TRAININGS AND EXPERIENCES
2010- present, Investigator and attending physician, Division of Molecular and Genomic Medicine, National Health Research Institute
2010- present, Adjunct Professor, Department of Pathology, Tzhu-Chi University School of Medicine
2003- present, Adjunct attending physician, Department of Pathology, Chang-Gung Memorial Hospital, Linko, Taoyuan
2003- 2010, Associate investigator and attending physician, Division of Molecular and Genomic Medicine, National Health Research Institute
2008- 2010, Adjunct Associate professor, Department of Pathology, Tzhu-Chi University School of Medicine
2003- 2008, Adjunct Associate professor, Department of Pathology, Taipei Medical University School of Medicine
2000- 2003, Associate professor of Pathology, Chang-Gung University School of Medicine
1999- 2003, Attending physician, Department of Pathology, Chang-Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei
1989- 1999, Instructor, Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University,
Attending physician, Department of Pathology, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
1994- 1995, Research fellow, Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women's Hospital & Harvard Medical School, U.S.A
1990- 1991, Clinical fellow, Department of Pathology, Children's Hospital in Boston & Harvard Medical School, U.S.A
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCESAssociate investigator and attending physician, Division of Molecular and Genomic Medicine, National Health Research Institute (2003 - present)
Associate professor, Department of Pathology, Taipei Medical University (2003 - present)
Adjunct attending physician, Department of Pathology, Chang-Gung Memorial Hospital, Linko (2003- present)
Associate professor of Pathology, Chang-Gung University School of Medicine (2000-2003)
Director of Anatomical Pathology, Department of Pathology, Chang-Gung Memorial Hospital, Linko (2000-2003)
Attending physician, Department of Pathology, Chang-Gung Memorial Hospital, Linko (1999-2003)
Instructor and attending physician, Department of Pathology, College of Medicine,
National Taiwan University and National Taiwan University Hospital (1989-1999)
Research fellow, Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women's Hospital & Harvard Medical School, U.S.A (1994-1995)
Clinical fellow, Department of Pathology, Children's Hospital in Boston & Harvard Medical School, U.S.A (1990-1991)
RESEARCH INTERESTSHuang's research interests are mainly molecular genetic studies related to tumorigenesis of solid tumors, mainly focusing on hepatocellular carcinoma and lung cancers. Her lab is also expert in diagnostic molecular pathology techniques.
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES & ACCOMPLISHMENTSDr. Huang is a senior pathologist, and is a specialist in liver, lung and pediatric pathology. After she was recruited to NHRI, she has established a pathology lab capable of performing all diagnostic pathology techniques, from general histochemistry to molecular diagnostic technique, such as PCR, sequencing and in situ hybridization. The latter includes both FISH and CISH. Currently, her lab is performing MYCN amplification examination for all neuroblastoma patients in Taiwan for free.
Dr. Huang's research team also has found a high EGFR mutation rate in non-small cell lung cancer patients in Taiwan, which is related to the responsiveness of gefitinib, an EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitor. This important findings suggest that Taiwanese lung cancer patients would have higher response rate to this new drug and will have benefit in prolonged survival. In the follow up study, her team also found variable response patterns even for the same EGFR mutation, which suggests further study of underlying mechanism regarding the EGFR mutation and gefitinib responsiveness.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS1. Huang SF, Liu HP, Li LH, Ku YC, Fu YN, Tsai HY, Chen YT, Lin YF, Chang WC, Kuo HP, Wu YC, Chen YR, Tsai SF. High Frequency of EGFR mutations with complex patterns in non-small cell lung cancers related to gefitinib responsiveness in Taiwan. Clinical Cancer Research; 10(24):8195-203, 2004. (has been cited for 320 times)
2.Chen YR, Fu YN, Lin CH, Yang ST, Hu SF, Chen YT, Tsai SF, Huang SF (Corresponding author). Distinctive Activation Patterns in Constitutively Active and Gefitinib-Sensitive EGFR Mutants. Oncogene 2006 Feb 23, 25:1205-1215.
3. Hsieh MH, Fang YF, Chang WC, Kuo HP, Lin SY, Liu HP, Liu CL, Chen HC, Ku YC, Chen YT, Chang YH, Chen YT, Hsi BL, Tsai SF, Huang SF (corresponding author). Complex Mutation Patterns of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Gene Associated with Variable Responses to Gefitinib Treatment in Patients with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Lung Cancer 2006; Sep. 53:311-322, Epub 2006, Jul 24.
4. Chang JW-C, Liu HP, Hsieh MH, Fang YF, Hsieh MS, Hsieh JJ, Chiu YT, Tsai HY, Chen YH, Chen YT, Hsu HY, Chen YT, Tsai SF, Chen YR, Hsi BL, Huang SF (corresponding author). Increased Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR) Gene Copy Number is Strongly Associated with EGFR Mutations and Adenocarcinoma in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancers: A Chromogenic in situ Hybridization Study of 182 patients. Lung Cancer 2008, September;61:328 -339.
5. Wu CC, Hsu HY, Liu HP, Chang JWH, Chen YT, Hsieh WY, Hsieh JJ, Hsieh MS, Chen YR, Huang SF (corresponding author). Reversed mutation rates of KRAS and EGFR genes in adenocarcinoma of lung in Taiwan and its implication. Cancer, 2008 Dec 1;113(11):3199-208.
6. Liu Hp, Wu HD, Chang JWH, Wu YC, Yang HY, Chen YT, Hsieh WY, Chen YT, Chen YR, Huang SF (corresponding author). Prognostic implications of EGFR and KRAS gene mutations, and EGFR gene copy numbers in Surgically Resectable Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Patients in Taiwan. J Thorac Oncol 2010;5:1175-1184.
7.Chen YT, Liu Hp, Chang JWH, Wu YC, Yu TF, Hsieh JJ, Chen YR, Huang SF (corresponding author). Clinical implications of high MET gene dosage in non-small cell lung cancer patients without prior tyrosine kinase inhibitor treatment. J Thorac Oncol 2011 Dec;6:2027- 2035.
8. Tai-Di Chen, Il-Chi Chang, Hui-Ping Liu, Yi-Cheng Wu, Chi-Liang Wang, Ya-Ting Chen, Yi-Rong Chen, Shiu-Feng Huang (corresponding author). Correlation of Anaplastic Lymphoma Kinase Over-expression and EML4-ALK Fusion gene in Non-small Cell Lung Cancer by Immunohistochemical Study. Chang Gung Medical J 2012 July-August;35(4): 309-317.
9. Investigation of chromosomal aberrations in hepatocellular carcinoma by fluorescence in situ hybridization. Huang SF(corresponding author), Hsu HC, Fletcher JA. Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics 1999;111:21-27.
10. Allelic loss at chromosome band 6q14 correlates with favorable prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma. Huang SF(corresponding author), Hsu HC, Cheng YM, Chang TC. Cancer Genet Cytogenet 2000;116:23-27.
11. Liver cell adenoma with concomitant hepatocellular carcinoma: report of two cases. Chuang WY, Chen TC, Hsu HL, Lee WC, Jeng LB, Huang SF (corresponding author). J Formosan Med Assoc 2002 Dec;101:798-802.
12. Tetrasomy 6 and 6q14 deletion are associated with better survival in hepatocellular carcinomas:: a fluorescence in situ hybridization study of 77 cases. Huang SF(corresponding author), Hsu HC, Chen JC, Chie WC, Lai PL. Cancer Genet Cytogenet 2003 July;144:23-30.
13. Lymphoepithelioma-like hepatocellular carcinoma. Chen CJ, Jeng LB, Huang SF (corresponding author). Chang Gung Med J. 2007;30:172-1.
14. Hsieh SY, Chen WY, Yeh TS, Sheen IS, Huang SF. High frequency Alu-mediated genomic recombination/deletion within the caspase-activated DNase gene in human hepatoma. Oncogene 2005 Sep 29;24(43):6584-9.
15. Chou WC, Huang SF, Yeh KY, Wang HM, Liu MY, Hsieh JJ, Cheung YC, Chang JW. Different Responses to Gefitinib in Lung Adenocarcinoma Coexpressing Mutant- and Wild-Type Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Genes. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2006 Aug;36(8):523-6.
16. Bean J, Brennan C, Shih JY, Riely G, Viale A, Wang L, Chitale D, Motoi N, Szoke J, Broderick S, Balak M, Chang WC, Yu CJ, Gazdar A, Pass H, Rusch V, Gerald W, Huang SF, Yang PC, Miller V, Ladanyi M, Yang CH, Pao W. MET amplification occurs with or without T790M mutations in EGFR mutant lung tumors with acquired resistance to gefitinib or erlotinib. PNAS 2007;104(52): 20932-20937.
17. Chang JW, Chou CL, Huang SF, Wang HM, Hsieh JJ, Hsu T, Cheung YC. Erlotinib response of EGFR-mutant gefitinib-resistant non-small-cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 2007; Dec;58(3):414-7.
18. Fu, YN., Yeh, CL., Cheng, HY., Yang, CH., Tsai, SF., Huang, SF, Chen, YR.EGFR mutants found in non-small cell lung cancer show different levels of sensitivity to suppression of Src: implications in targeting therapy. Oncogene. 2008;27: 957-965.
19. Lin WH, Song JS, Chang TY, Chang CY, Fu YN, Yeh CL, Wu SH, Huang YW, Fang MY, Lien TW, Hsieh HP, Chao YS, Huang SF, Tsai SF, Wang LM, Hsu JT, Chen YR. A cell-based high-throughput screen for epidermal growth factor receptor pathway inhibitors. Anal Biochem 2008; Jun 1, 377: 89-94.
20. Liao YJ, Liu SP, Lee CM, Yen CH, Chuang PC, Chen CY, Tsai TF, Huang SF, Lee YH, Chen YM. Characterization of a glycine N-methyltransferase gene knockout mouse model for hepatocellular carcinoma: Implications of the gender disparity in liver cancer susceptibility. Int J Cancer. 2009 Feb 15;124(4):816-26.
21. Lan CC, Wu YK, Lee CH, Huang YC, Huang CY, Tsai YH, Huang SF, Tsao TC. Increased Survivin mRNA in Malignant Pleural Effusion is Significantly Correlated with Survival. Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2010 Mar;40(3):234-40. Epub 2009 Nov 22.
22. Lai MW, Huang SF, Hsu CW, Chang MH, Liaw YF, Yeh CT. Identification of nonsense mutations in hepatitis B virus S gene in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma developed after lamivudine therapy. Antivir Ther. 2009;14(2):249-61.
23. Lan CC, Yang MC, Lee CH, Huang SF, Wu YK. Solitary primary tracheal small-cell lung cancer causing acute respiratory failure: diagnosis and treatment. Respir Care 2010 Jul; 55(7):929-32.
24. Jiang SS, Ms. Fang WT, Hou YS, Huang SF, Yen BL, Chang JL, Li SM, Liu HP, Liu YL, Huang CT, Li YW, Jang TH, Chan SH, Yang SJ, Hsiung CA, Wu CW, Wang LH, Chang IS. Upregulation of SOX9 in lung adenocarcinoma and its involvement in the regulation of cell growth and tumorigenicity. Clin Cancer Res 2010 Sep 1;16(17):4363-73.
25. Lan CC, Wu HC, Lee CH, Huang SF, Wu YK. Lung cancer with unusual presentation as a thin-walled cyst in a young nonsmoker. J Thorac Oncol. 2010 Sep;5(9):1481-2.
26. Wang JY, Yeh CL, Chou HC, Yang CH, Fu YN, Chen YT, Cheng HW, Huang CY, Liu HP, Huang SF, Chen YR. Vaccinia H1-related phosphatase (VHR) is a phosphatase of ErbB receptors and is down-regulated in non-small cell lung cancer. J Biol Chem. 2011 Mar 25;286(12):10177-84.
27. Hsieh SY, He JR, Hsu CY, Chen WJ, Bera R, Lin KY, Shih TC, Yu MC, Lin YJ, Chang CJ, Weng WH, Huang SF. Neuregulin/erythroblastic leukemia viral oncogene homolog 3 autocrine loop contributes to invasion and early recurrence of human hepatoma. Hepatology. 2011 Feb;53(2):504-16. Epub 2011 Jan 18.
28. Ming-Mo Hou, Shiu-Feng Huang, Han-Pin Kuo, Cheng-Ta Yang, Ying-Huang Tsai, Chih-Teng Yu, Horng-Chyuan Lin, Chih-Hung Chen, Chih-Liang Wang, Fu-Tsai Chung, Jia-Juan Hsieh, Todd Hsu, Hsin-Yi Cheng, Li-Ying Ou, Hung- Ming Wang, Yung-Chang Lin, Nai-Jen Chang, John Weng-Cheng Chang. Erlotinib Treatment in Patients with Advanced Lung Adenocarcinoma with CISH-positive and CISH-negative EGFR Gene Alterations. Anticancer Res 2012 Mar; 32: 1107-1112.
29. Yen, Chia-Hung, Lu, Yao-Cheng, Li, Chung-Hsien, Lee, Cheng-Ming, Chen, Chia-Yen, Cheng, Ming-Yuan, Shiu-Feng Huang, Chen, Kuen-Feng, Cheng, Ann-Lii, Liao, Li-Ying, Wu-Lee, Yan-Hwa, Chen, Yi-Ming. Functional characterization of Glycine N-methyltransferase and its interactive protein- DEPDC6/DEPTOR in hepatocellular carcinoma. Molecular Medicine 2012 Mar 30;18(1):286-96.
30. Tzu-Ching Kuo, Ph.D.; Pu-Yuan Chang, Ph.D.; Shiu-Feng Huang, MD, Ph.D.; Chen-Kung Chou, Ph.D.; Chuck C.-K. Chao, Ph.D. Knockdown of HURP inhibits the proliferation of hepacellular carcinoma cells via downregulation of gankyrin and accumulation of p53. Biochemical Pharmacology 2012 Mar 15;83(6):758-68. Epub 2011 Dec 31.
31. Lo FY, Chang JW, Chang IS, Chen YJ, Hsu HS, Huang SF, Tsai FY, Jiang SS, Kanteti R, Nandi S, Salgia R, Wang YC. The database of chromosome imbalance regions and genes resided in lung cancer from Asian and Caucasian identified by array-comparative genomic hybridization. BMC Cancer. 2012 Jun 12;12(1):235. [Epub ahead of print]
32.Chen YC, Huang SF, Chu CM, Liaw YF. Serial HBV DNA levels in patients with persistently normal transaminase over 10 years following spontaneous HBeAg seroconversion. J Viral Hepat 2012 ;19:138-46.