Ming-liang Lee, M.D., Ph.D.
Institute of Population Health Sciences
EDUCATIONPh.D., Molecular Biology/Biochemistry, School of Medicine, University of Miami, USA, 1969
M.D., College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taiwan 1962
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES- Distinguished Investigator, Center for Health Policy Research and Development, National Health Research Institutes, Taiwan
- Distinguished Investigator and Director, Center for Health Policy Research and Development, National Health Research Institutes, Taiwan
- Chairman of Board, Taiwan Urbani Foundation, Taiwan
- President Emeritus and Professor, Tzu Chi University, Hualien, Taiwan
- Commander-in-Chief, SARS Task Force, Taiwan
- Minister, Department of Health, Taiwan
- President and Professor, Department of Pediatric and Human Genetics, Tzu Chi University, Hualien, Taiwan
- President, Society Medical Genetic, Taiwan
- Tenure Professor of Pediatrics, and Chief, Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Pediatrics, University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA.
- Chief Fellow, Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD, USA.
RESEARCH INTERESTSProfessor Lee's research interests include health policy, pediatrics genetics, and human genetic diseases.
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES & ACCOMPLISHMENTSProfessor Lee is the former Health Minister of Taiwan, from May 2000 to August 2002. In May 2003 he was recalled and appointed by President of Taiwan as Chief Commander of the SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) Task Force with the highest governmental authority to lead the country in fight against the epidemic. Soon after, he designed and put in place the first national preparedness program for the natural and medical disasters.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS1. Chiu, Y.W., Lee, M.L., Hung, H.T., and Huang, C.Y. "The global health security. Issues & Studies" (Japanese version) A Journal of Asian Pacific Studies 35(4):61-76, 2006.
2. Wang, J-C., Lee, M-l., Chong, C-S. "The Consideration for the Clinical Trial of Pandemic Influenza Vaccine" (Chinese Version) Acta Paediatrica Taiwanica, Vol.47, 18-22, 2006.
3. Deng, J.-F, Ming-liang Lee. et al, "Sever acute respiratory syndrome (SARS): Knowledge, attitudes, practices and sources of information among physicians answering a SARS fever hotline service," Public Heath 120,15-19, 2006.
4. Chiu, Y.W., Lee, M.L. "The threat from avian flu and its implication on national health security." Strategic and Security Analyses. 6: 6-10, 2005.
5. Ming-liang Lee. "Medical Ethics in the Era of National Health Insurance" Tzu Chi Medical Journal, 17:291-293, 2005.
6. Lee, M l., "Introduction," In Metabolic Disorders - Taiwan Experience., edited by Lee, M l. Taipei, Taiwan, 2004.
7. Ching-Ying Pan, Ming-Liang Lai, Hong-wen Liu, Chyi-Her Lin, Ming-Liang Lee, "The Investigation of Intention about Humanity Care in Medical Students," Journal of Medical Education, 8:301-13, 2004.