Tsang-Wu Liu, M.D.
Director, Operation Center of TCOG;
Acting Director, Department of Research Planning and Development;
National Institute of Cancer Research
EDUCATIONM.D., College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taiwan, 1981
- Attending Physician, National Institute of Cancer Research, National Health Research Institutes, Taiwan (1996-present)
- Research Associate, Department of Pharmacology, Yale University, School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA (1996-1997)
- Clinical Observer, Bone Marrow Transplantation program, DukeUniversityHospital (Program Director: William Peters) Durham, NC, USA (1994)
- Board of Hematology R.O.C. (since 1990)
- Board of Medical Oncology R.O.C. (since 1990)
- Senior Staff, Medical Oncology, KooFoundationSunYat-SenCancerCenter (SYSCC), Taiwan (1989-1995)
- Fellowship in Medical Oncology Training Program, Institute Biomedical Science, Academica Sinca (Director: Paul P. Carbone), Taiwan (1987-1989)
- Board of Internal Medicine R.O.C. (since 1985)
RESEARCH INTERESTSDr. Liu's main research interest is the anticancer experimental therapy, especially on the cancers prevalent in Taiwan. He has participated in many early phase anticancer drug clinical trials in Taiwan.
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES & ACCOMPLISHMENTSIn the past 3 years, Dr. Liu serves as the director of the operation center of Taiwan Cooperative Oncology Group (TCOG). He organizes and coordinates the activities of various disease oriented committees and quality control committees including the conduct of clinical trials, data and safety monitoring, educational programs for clinical research nurses, clinical investigators, and statisticians, and also the scientific symposiums on various cancer topics. TCOG is currently the only multicenter cooperated clinical trial group for cancer therapy in Taiwan.
- Hsu C, Hsiung CA, Su IJ, Hwang WS, Wang MC, Lin SF, Lin TH, Hsiao HH, Young JH, Chang MC, Liao YM, Li CC, Wu HB, Tien HF, Chao TY, Liu TW, Cheng AL and Chen PJ. A Revisit for Prophylactic Lamivudine for Chemotherapy-associated Hepatitis B Reactivation in Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma: a Randomized Trial. Hepatology, 47, 2008. (in press)
- Liang PC, Ch'ang HJ, Hsu C, Tseng SS, Shih TT and Liu TW. Dynamic MRI signals in the second week of radiotherapy relate to treatment outcomes of hepatocellular carcinoma: a preliminary result. Liver Int, 27(4):516-28, 2007.
- Shiah HS, Chao Y, Chen LT, Yao TJ, Huang JD, Chang JY, Chen PJ, Chuang TR, Chin YH, Whang-Peng J and Liu TW. Phase I and pharmacokinetic study of oral thalidomide in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 2006.
- Wang CC, Chang JY, Liu TW, Lin CY, Yu YC and Hong RL. Phase II study of gemcitabine plus vinorelbine in the treatment of cisplatin-resistant nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Head Neck, 28(1):74-80, 2006.
- Tang ST, Liu TW, Lai MS, Liu LN and Chen CH. Concordance of preferences for endof-life care between terminally ill cancer patients and their family caregivers in Taiwan. J Pain Symptom Manage, 30(6):510-8, 2005.