Li-Tzong Chen, M.D.
Investigator and Attending Physician
National Institute of Cancer Research
EDUCATIONPh.D., Graduate School of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Taiwan, 2001
M.D., Medical School, Kaohsiung Medical College, Taiwan, 1982
- Investigator and chief, National Institute of Cancer Research, National Health Research Institutes, Taiwan (2006-present)
- Associate Investigator, Investigator, National Institute of Cancer Research, National Health Research Institutes, Taiwan (2002-2005)
- Associate Professor, Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Taiwan (2005-present)
- Attending Physician, National Institute of Cancer Research, National Health Research Institutes, Taiwan (1995-2002)
- Attending Physician, Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical College Hospital, Taiwan, (1988-present)
RESEARCH INTERESTSAs a qualified gastroenterologist and oncologist, Dr. Chen focuses on the development of innovative strategies for treating prevalent gastrointestinal tract (including, hepatobiliary and pancreas) cancers in Taiwan, through conducting clinical trials and trial-related translational research.
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES & ACCOMPLISHMENTSThrough conducting innovative clinical trials, Dr. Chen have participated in organizing several distinguished research teams to perform clinical and translational research, notably, antibiotics as first-line therapy for Helicobacter pylori-positive, early-stage high-grade transformed mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue lymphoma of the stomach; thalidomide as salvage therapy for far advanced hepatocellular carcinoma; adjuvant interferon alpha-2b for hepatitis virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma with curative resection; docetaxel-containing triplet chemotherapy for advanced gastric cancers, and gemcitabine-based doublet and triplet chemotherapy for advanced pancreatic cancer.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Outstanding research award of Chien-Ten Hsu Cancer Research Foundation, 2003
- Ch'ang HJ, Wang CC, Cheng AL, Hsu C, Lu YS, Chang MC, Lin JT, Wang HP, Liu TW, Chang JY, Whang-Peng J and Chen LT*. Phase I study of biweekly gemcitabine, oxaliplatin and simplified 48-hr infusion of fluorouracil/leucovorin (GOFL) for advanced pancreatic cancer. J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 21:874-9, 2006. (* = Corresponding Author)
- Chen LT, Liu TW, Chao Y, Shiah HS, Chang JY, ChenSC,Chuang TR, Chin YH and Whang-Peng J. Alpha-fetoprotein response predicts survival benefits of thalidomide for advanced hepatocellular carcinom. Aliment Pharmacol Ther, 22:217-26, 2005.
- Chen LT*, Lin JT, Tai JJ, Chen GH, Yeh HZ, Yang SS, Wang HP, Kuo SH, Sheu PS, Jan CM, Wang WM, Wang TE, Wu CW, Chen CL, Su IJ, Whang-Peng J and Cheng AL*. Long-term results of anti-Helicobacter pylori therapy in early-stage high-grade transformed gastric MALT lymphoma. J Natl Cancer Inst, 97:1345-53, 2005 (* =Equal contribution).
- Chen LT and Whang-Peng J. Current status of clinical studies for colorectal cancer in Taiwan. Clin Colorectal Cancer, 4:196-203, 2004.
- Chen LT, Liu TW, Wu CW, Chung TR, Shiah HS, Jan CM, Liu JM, Whang-Peng J and Chang JY. A phase I study of weekly docetaxel, 24-hour infusion of high-dose fluorouracil/leucovorin and cisplatin in patients with advanced gastric cancer. Oncology, 63:239-47, 2002.