Shou-Hsia Cheng , Ph.D.
Institute of Population Health Sciences
EDUCATION- Ph.D., Health Policy and Resource Management, Dept. of Epidemiology and Public Health, School of Medicine, Yale University, US., 1993
- M.S., Institute of Public Health, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taiwan, 1987
- B.S., Department of Public Health, College of Medical, National Taiwan University, Taiwan, 1983
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES- Director, National Health Insurance Committee for the Arbitration of Medical Costs, Department of Health, Executive Yuan, Taiwan.(2006-present)
- Chairman, National Health Insurance Medical Expenditure Negotiation Committee, Department of Health, Executive Yuan, Taiwan (2005 -present)
- Professor, Institute of Health Policy and Management, College of Public Health, National Taiwan University, Taiwan (2004 -present)
- Committee Member, National Health Insurance Committee for the Arbitration of Medical Costs, Department of Health, Executive Yuan, Taiwan.(2002-2004)
- Member, National Health Insurance Research Database working team, National Health Research Institutes (NHRI), Taiwan.(1998-present)
- Consultant of Government Affairs, Taipei City Government, Taipei, Taiwan. (1999/12-present)
RESEARCH INTERESTSDuring the past decade, Professor Cheng has been conducting research in the fields of health policy and health economics. He conducts research by applying micro- economic theories and techniques to health policy analysis.
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES & ACCOMPLISHMENTSIn the past few years, Prof. Cheng has finished several research projects assessing the influences of Taiwan's National Health Insurance new strategies such as global budget programs and pay-for-performance programs. His research also focuses on the role of quality information in healthcare market and the measurement and its implication of healthcare quality from patient perspectives. Some of the research findings have been published in several international journals.
HONORS & AWARDS- Excellent Teacher Award from National Taiwan University, Taiwan, 2003
- 9th Ching-Hsing Medical Award, from Ching-Hsing Medical Foundation, Taiwan, 1999.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS1. Cheng SH, Jan IS, Liu PC. The soaring mechanic ventilator utilization under a universal health insurance in Taiwan. Health Policy 2007 (in press)
2. Cheng SH, Wei YJ, Chang HJ. Quality competition among hospitals: The effects of perceived quality and perceived expensiveness on health care consumers. American Journal of Medical Quality, 21(1), 68-75, 2006
3. Wei YJ, Chung KP, Cheng SH*. The evolution of healthcare quality assessment: from accreditation to report card system. Taiwan Journal of Public Health, 24(4):275-282, 2005
4. Cheng SH, Song HY. Physician performance information and consumers' choice: a survey of subjects with the freedom to choose between doctors. Quality and Safety in Health Care, 13(2): 98-101, 2004
5. Cheng SH, Yang MC, Chiang TL. Patient satisfaction and recommendation of a hospital: effect of interpersonal and technical aspects of hospital care. International Journal for Quality in Health Care, 15 (4): 345-355, 2003
6. Cheng SH, Chiang TL. Disparity of medical care utilization among different health insurance schemes in Taiwan. Soc Sci Med, 47: 613-20, 1998
7. Cheng SH, Chiang TL. The effect of universal health insurance on health care utilization in Taiwan?Results from a natural experiment. JAMA, 278: 89-93, 1997