Ya-Wen Chiu, M.E.M., Ph.D.
Institute of Population Health Sciences
EDUCATION- Ph.D., Agricultural and Environmental Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, USA, 2000
- M.E.M., Environmental Management, Yale University, USA, 1993
- B.S., Plant Pathology, National Taiwan University, Taiwan, 1990
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES- Assistant Investigator, Center for Health Policy Research and Development, National Health Research Institutes, Taiwan
- Consultant, Bureau of International Cooperation, Department of Health, Taiwan
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Kaohsiung Medical University, Taiwan
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, National Taipei University of Technology, Taiwan
- Deputy Executive Secretary, APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation) Affairs Task Force, Bureau of International Cooperation, Department of Health, Taiwan
- Senior Research Fellow, Bureau of International Cooperation, Department of Health, Taiwan
- NHRI Health Policy Research Fellowship Awardee
- Deputy Director and Senior Environmental Specialist, Comprehensive Planning Division, Recycling Management Foundation, Environmental Protection Administration, Taiwan
RESEARCH INTERESTSDr. Chiu's research interests include global health policy and health security; mainly focus on international health cooperation, international medical aid mission, international organizations, international health laws, and evidence-based medicine research and development. Through multiple research methods, her team tries to collect, analyze, propose and evaluate Taiwan international health policy and strategy in order to establish a comprehensive network, i.e. a platform for international health professionals, think tanks as well as governmental sectors to exchange views and study transnational health policy.
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES & ACCOMPLISHMENTSDr. Chiu has been devoting herself in establishing an academic network for cooperation on the international health policy. In order to achieve the above purpose, she has actively participated in and co-organized several bilateral or multilateral conferences with Asian-Pacific or European countries. The most significant accomplishment in 2006 was to assist Department of Health (DOH) to hold “International Conference on Health Security: New Challenges & Policy Implications” in New Deli, India. By presenting papers or giving speeches in the conferences, she enhanced the influence and profundity of Taiwan’s health security and global health research. Moreover, due to the interaction and communication with international significant participants, she successfully established cross-national communication platform and panel on public health and health security area. In addition, Dr. Chiu has created a multi-sectoral platform and policy communication network to link public and private sectors in Taiwan, including our institutes (NHRI), Institute of International Relations of National Chengchi University, Yang-Ming University, hospitals, International Cooperation and Development Foundation, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and DOH.
Furthermore, she proposed a lot of policy recommendations and strategies of international health cooperation for our government. And these performances were published in several journals, including "Taiwan Journal of Public Health".
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS1. Chiu YW, Huang CY, Hung HT, and Lee ML. From China’s Suppression in WHO to See the Prospect of Taiwan's Joining in UN. New Century Think Tank Forum 39: 33-42, 2007.
2. Chiu YW, Hung HT, Huang CY, and Lee ML. The Policy Evaluation and Recommendations for Taiwan's Joining in WHO. Strategic and Security Analyses 26: 32-38, 2007.
3. Chiu YW, and Lee ML. An investigation of Taiwan’s participation in the global health system: the World Health Organization and Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation. Taiwan Journal of Public Health. 25(6): 405-418, 2006.
4. Chiu YW, Huang CY, Hung HT, and Lee ML. The global health security. Issues & Studies (Japanese version). 35(4):61-76, 2006.
5. Chiu YW. The Retrospect and Challenges of Taiwan’s Participation in the Global Health System. New Century Think Tank Forum. 33: 23-36, 2006.
6. Chiu YW, and Lee ML. The threat from avian flu and its implication on national health security. Strategic and Security Analyses. 6: 6-10, 2005.