Shuang-En Chuang, Ph.D.
National Institute of Cancer Research
EDUCATIONPh.D., Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, USA, 1992
M.S., Microbiology and Immunology, National Yang-Ming Medical University, Taiwan, 1984
B.S., Agricultural Chemistry, National Taiwan University, Taiwan, 1982
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES- Assistant Investigator, Associate Investigator, National Institute of Cancer Research, National Health Research Institutes, Taiwan
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Genetics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Cancer Research Center, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taiwan
RESEARCH INTERESTSThe main research interests of Dr. Chuang's laboratory include (1) Role of AXL, Carbonic anhydrase 3, and SAF (a novel gene transcribed from the opposite strand of Fas) in cancer invasion and metastasis; (2) Roles played by viral genes in cancer invasion and drug resistance including LMP-1 of EBV; (3) Searching for synergistic anti-cancer effects among different drugs; (4) In collaboration with Dr. Gi-Ming Lai, his laboratory is also involved TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) research.
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES & ACCOMPLISHMENTSTwo anti-cancer patents applications are pending for approval. They represent two different combination therapies exerting strong synergistic effect against cancers.
HONORS & AWARDS
- AACR-ITO-EN, Ltd. Young Investigator Award, American Association for Cancer Research, USA, 1998.
- Kao YH, Hsieh HP, Chitlimalla SK, Pan WY, Kuo CC, Tsai YC, Lin WH, Chuang SE* and Chang JY*. A novel peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha/gamma agonist, BPR1H0101, inhibits topoisomerase II catalytic activity in human cancer cells. Anticancer Drugs, 19:151-158, 2008.
- Lay JD, Hong CC, Huang JS, Yang YY, Pao CY, Liu CH, Lai YP, Lai GM, Cheng AL, Su IJ and Chuang SE*. Sulfasalazine suppresses drug resistance and invasiveness of AXL-expressing lung adenocarcinoma cells through inhibition of NF-KB. Cancer Research, 67:3878-3887, 2007.
- Chuang HC, Lay JD, Chuang SE, Hsieh WC, Chang Y and Su IJ. Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) latent membrane protein-1 down-regulates tumor necrosis factor-a (TNF- a) receptor-1 and confers resistance to TNF-a -induced apoptosis in T cells: Implication for the progression to T-cell lymphoma in EBV-associated hemophagocytic syndrome. Am J Pathol, 170:1607-1617, 2007.
- Yao CJ, Lai GM, Chan CF, Cheng AL, Yang YY and Chuang SE*. Dramatic synergistic anticancer effect of clinically achievable doses of lovastatin and troglitazone. Int J Cancer, 118:773-779, 2006.
- Yan MD, Hong CC, Lai GM, Cheng AL, Lin YW and Chuang SE*. Identification and characterization of a novel gene Saf transcribed from the opposite strand of Fas. Hum Mol Genet, 14:1465-1474, 2005.
- Yao CJ, Lai GM, Chan CF, Yang YY, Liu FC and Chuang SE*. Differentiation of pheochromocytoma PC12 cells induced by human urine extract and the involvement of the extracellular signal-regulated kinase signaling pathway. J Altern Complement Med., 11:903-908, 2005.
- Chuang SE, Yeh PY, Lu YS, Lai GM, Liao CM, Gao M and Cheng AL. Basal levels and patterns of anticancer drug-induced activation of nuclear factor-kappaB (NF-kappaB), and its attenuation by tamoxifen, dexamethasone, and curcumin in carcinoma cells. Biochem Pharmacol., 63:1709-1716, 2002.