John T.A. Hsu, Ph.D.
Institute of Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Research
EDUCATIONPh.D., Chemical Engineering, The Johns Hopkins University, Maryland, USA (1995)
B.S., Chemical Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taipei Taiwan (1989)
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCESJoint-appointed Associate Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, National Tsing-Hua University (2006-present)
Senior Research Chemical Engineer, Vaccine Pharmaceutical Research, Merck & Co., West Point, Pennsylvania, USA. (1997-1998)
Postdoctoral Fellow, Protein Development, Human Genome Sciences, Inc., Rockville, Maryland, USA. (1996-1997)
RESEARCH INTERESTSDr. Hsu's research interests include discovery of novel drugs for Hepatitis C Virus, influenza virus, and cancers. Dr. Hsu is also an expert in protein drug design, and protein expression/engineering and purification.
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES & ACCOMPLISHMENTSDr. Hsu has authored or co-authored more than 40 original research articles, 8 invited review articles and book chapters. He is an inventor for 4 US patents. Over the past 10 years, he has participated in projects involving novel gene discovery (at Human Genome Sciences), pediatric vaccine development (at Merck), and drug discovery at NHRI for SARS coronavirus (SARS-CoV), enterovirus 71 (EV71), hepetitic C virus (HCV), influenza virus, diabetes. Recently, he becomes interested in developing novel drugs for cancers with human kinases as the molecular targets.
- I-Lin Lu, Chien-Fu Huang, Yi-Hui Peng, Ying-Ting Lin,Hsing-Pang Hsieh, Chiung-Tong Chen, Tzu-Wen Lien, Hwei-Jen Lee Neeraj Mahindroo, Ekambaranellore Prakash, Andrew Yueh, Chandra M. V. Goparaju, Xin Chen, Chun-Chen Liao, Yu-Sheng Chao, John T.-A. Hsu, and Su-Ying Wu. "Structure-based drug design of a novel family of PPARg partial agonists: virtual screening, x-ray crystallography and in vitro/in vivo biological activity." J Med Chem. 4;49(9):2703-12, 2006.
- John T.A. Hsu, Hsiang-Ching Wang, Guang-Wu Chen, Shin-Ru Shih. "Antiviral Drug Discovery Based on Viral Protease." Current Pharmaceutical Design, 12(11), 1301-1314, 2006.
- Der-Ren Hwang, Ren-Kuo Lin, Guang-Zhou Leu, Tzu-Wen Lien, Chau-Ting Yeh, John T.-A. Hsu. "Inhibition of Hepatitis C Virus Replication by Antimonial Compounds." Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (AAC). 49(10):4197-202, 2005.
- John T.-A. Hsu, Chih-Jung Kuo, Hsin-Pang Hsieh, Yeau-Ching Wang, Kuo-Kuei Huang, Coney P.-C. Lin, Ping-Fang Huang, Xin Chen, and Po-Huang Liang. "Evaluation of Metal-Conjugated Compounds as Inhibitors of 3CL Protease of SARS-CoV." FEBS Letters. Sep 10;574(1-3):116-20. (2005)
- Guang-Zhou Leu, Tiao-Yin Lin, John T.A. Hsu. "Anti-HCV Activities of Selective Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids." Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications (BBRC), Vol 318, pp 275-280, 2004.
- Der-Ren Hwang, Yuan-Chin Tsai, Jin-Ching Lee, Kuo-Kuei Huang, Ren-Kuo Lin, Chia-Hua Ho, Jeng-Min Chiou, Ying-Ting Lin, John T.A. Hsu, Chau-Ting Yeh. "Inhibition of Hepatitis C Virus Replication by Arsenic Trioxide." Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (AAC), 48(8):2876-82, 2004.
- Chang-Jer Wu, Jia-Tsrong Jan, Chi-Min Chen, Hsing-Pang Hsieh, Der-Ren Hwang, Hwan-Wun Liu, Chiu-Yi Liu, Hui-Wen Huang, Su-Chin Chen, Cheng-Fong Hong, Ren-Kuo Lin, Yu-Sheng Chao, John T.A. Hsu. "Inhibition of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) Coronavirus Replication by Niclosamide." Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (AAC), 48(7): 2693-6, 2004.