Jen-Pei Liu, Ph.D.
Institute of Population Health Sciences
EDUCATION-Ph.D., Statistics, Department of Statistics, University of Kentucky, USA, 1983
-M.S., Statistics, Department of Statistics, University of Kentucky, USA, 1980
-M.S., Biometry, Division of Biometry, Department of Agronomy, National Taiwan University, Taiwan, 1978
-B.S., Agronomy, Department of Agronomy, National Taiwan University, Taiwan, 1974
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES- Professor, Division of Biometry, Department of Agronomy, National Taiwan University, Taiwan (2004-present)
- Joint-appointed Investigator, Investigator, Division of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, National Health Research Institutes, Taiwan (1998-present)
- Professor, Department of Statistics, National Cheng-kung University, Taiwan (1995-2004)
- Senior Statistical Scientist, Berlex Laboratories, Wayne, New Jersey, USA (1988-1995)
- Research Statistician, Schering-Plough Corporation, Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA (1986-1987)
- Tenure-track Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics, University of Mississippi, USA (1984-1985)
- Lecturer, Department of Statistics, University of Kentucky, USA (1983-1984)
RESEARCH INTERESTSProfessor Liu's research interests include statistical methodology in bioequivalence evaluation, clinical trials, equivalence and non-inferiority testing, bridging testing, statistical quality control in biopharmaceutical products, diagnostic testing, statistical QA/QC for biochip diagnostic products, and evaluation of substantial equivalence in GMO crops and food.
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES & ACCOMPLISHMENTSProfessor Liu is a clinical biostatistician with experience for more than 20 years involving with all phases of clinical trials in a wide spectrum of therapeutic areas and with an established publication record. His publication include 5 reference books in statistical methods for biopharmaceutical industry by Marcel Dekker and Design and Analysis of Clinical Trials (Co-authored with SC Chow) by John Wiley and sons, over 100 research articles in peer-review statistical journals, and over 20 invited book chapters in Encyclopedia of Biostatistics and Encyclopedia of Biopharmaceutical Statistics. His papers were cited in the 2001 FDA guidance for Statistical Approach to Establishing Bioequivalence and in the 2005 WHO draft guideline for multi-source drug products. He is an Associate Editor for Journal of Biopharmaceutical Statistics and an Associate Editor for Taiwan Journal of Public Health (since January 2002). He serve as a referee for Statistics in Medicine, Biometrics, Control Clinical Trials, Journal of the American Statistical Association, Communications in Statistics, Statistica Sinica, Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, and many other international academic journals.
HONORS & AWARDS- Dr. Liu was appointed as one of editors for the Chapman/Hall & CRC Biostatistics Book Series by Taylor and Francis on November 21, 2006.
- Dr. Liu is an Associate Editor for the SCI Journal of Biopharmaceutical Statistics
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS1. Lee, C.R., Liao, C.T., and Liu, J.P.* "On exact interval estimation for the difference in the paired areas under ROC curves," Statistics in Medicine. 27: 224-242, 2008 (SCI: 1.737). (NSC 94-2118-M-002-005) (*=Corresponding Author)
2. Li, C.R., Liao, C.T., and Liu, J.P.* (2007) "A non-inferiority test for diagnostic accuracy based on the paired partial areas under ROC curves," Statistics in Medicine. Published on line on 10/29/2007. DOI 10.1002/sim3121. (SCI:1.737) (NSC 95 2118-M-002-007-MY2) (*=Corresponding Author)
3. Liu, J.P.*, Ma, M.C., Wu, C.Y., and Tai, J.Y. Tests of equivalence and non-inferiority for diagnostic accuracy based on the paired areas under ROC curves, Statistics in Medicine. 25:1219-1239, 2006. Selected as one of the eight papers for the special issue in celebration of the 25th Anniversary of Statistics in Medicine. (SCI:1.737) (NSC 92 2118-M-006-001, NSC 93 2118-M-002-010) (*=Corresponding Author)
4. Liu, J.P.*, and Chow, S.C. "Median Effective Dose," Encyclopedia of Biostatistics, 2nd Ed., 5:3104-3117, 2005. Edited by P. Armitage and T. Colton, John Wiley and sons, New York, New York. (*=Corresponding Author)
5. Chow, S.C., and Liu, J.P.* "Design and Analysis of Clinical Trials: Concepts and Methodologies," Second Edition, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, New York, U.S.A. (ISBN 0-471-24985-8), 2004. (*=Corresponding Author)
6. Liu, J.P.*, Hsueh, H.M., Hsieh, E., and Chen, J.J. "Tests for equivalence or noninferiority for paired binary data," Statistics in Medicine. 21:231-245, 2002. (SCI:1.737) (*=Corresponding Author)
7. Hsueh, H.M., Liu, J.P., and Chen, J.J. "Unconditional exact tests for equivalence or non-inferiority for paired binary data," Biometrics. 57(2), 478-483, 2001. (SCI: 1.602) (* = Corresponding Author)