Chin-Fu Hsiao, Ph.D.
Institute of Population Health Sciences
EDUCATIONPh.D., Statistics, University of Wisconsin-Madison (1997)
M.S., Mathematics, National Central University (1989)
B.S., Mathematics, National Central University (1987)
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCESAdjunct Associate Professor, National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan (2007-present)
Associate Investigator, Division of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, National Health Research Institutes, Taiwan (2004-present)
Assistant Investigator, Division of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, National Health Research Institutes, Taiwan (2001-2004)
Postdoctoral Fellow, Division of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, National Health Research Institutes, Taiwan (1998-2001)
Postdoctoral Fellow, Institute of Statistical Science, Academia Sinica, Taiwan (1997-1998)
RESEARCH INTERESTSDr. Hsiao is working on the area of Bayesian analysis, clinical trials, and genetic study.
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES & ACCOMPLISHMENTSDr. Hsiao focuses on the comparison of Bayesian and frequentist approaches in sequential trial designs. For Bayesians, the choice of prior is often criticized for being subjective and nonrobustness by most non-Bayesians. Therefore, Dr. Hsiao is developing a practical approach for studying and communicating robustness of conclusions on predictive power to change in prior specification. In addition, he is currently working on the topics of bridging study, global trials, and adaptive designs. Dr. Hsiao has joined the program of Stanford-Asian Pacific Program in Hypertension and Insulin Resistance (SAPPHIRe) study. The aim of SAPPHIRe study is to analyze candidate genes as well as perform genome-wide search to identify major gene loci for hypertension. He has also joined the study of Genetic Epidemiological Study of Female Lung Adenocarcinoma in Taiwan (GEFLAC). The aim of GEFLAC study is to identify the genes for Chinese female lung adenocarcinoma in the Taiwan population.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS1. Tsou HH, Hsiao CF, Chow SC, Liu JP. A two-stage design for drug screening trials based on continuous endpoints. Drug Information Journal, 2008 (in press). (co-first author)
2. Tsou HH, Hsiao CF*, Chow SC, Yue L, Xu YL, Lee SJ. Mixed non-inferiority margin and statistical tests in active controlled trials. Journal of Biopharmaceutical Statistic, 17: 339-357, 2007. (*=Corresponding Author)
3. Hsiao CF and Clayton MK. Bayes optimal sequential trial designs. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference. 137(4):1129-1137, 2007.
4. Hsiao CF, Chiu YF, Chiang FT, Ho LT, Lee WJ, Hung YJ, Chen YD, Donlon TA, Jorgenson E, Curb D, Risch N, Hsiung CA. Genome-wide linkage analysis of lipids in non-diabetic Chinese and Japanese from the SAPPHIRe family study. American Journal of Hypertension. 19(2):1270-1277, 2006.
5. Yang CW, Hsiao CF, and Chou CK. Evaluation of experimental designs for two-color cDNA microarrays. Journal of Computational Biology. 12(9):1202-1220, 2005.
6. Hsiao CF, Xu JG, Liu JP. A two-stage design for bridging studies. Journal of Biopharmaceutical Statistic. 15(1):75-83, 2005.
7. Chang IS, Chen MY, Hsiao CF, and Hsiung CA. A unified multipoint linkage analysis of qualitative and quantitative traits for sib-pairs. Statistica Sinica. 12:297-309, 2002.